The Sisters of Charity of St. Elizabeth were founded by Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, in the spirit of Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac, in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in 1809. In 1859 Mother Mary Xavier Mehegan founded the New Jersey community known as the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth.
Today the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are engaged in education, health care, pastoral and social service ministries in 20 dioceses within the United States, in El Salvador and Haiti.
In the Diocese of Gallup, the SCSJA Sisters serve in the following locations:
Sr. Maria Magdalena Studer, SC