The principal function of the Chancellor is to take care that the acts of the curia (the governance of the Diocese) are gathered, arranged and safeguarded. (Canon 482) The chancellor ensures the proper documentation and storage of records via oversight of the Diocesan archives.
In the Diocese of Gallup, the Office of the Chancellor handles a variety of additional functions:
- Personnel oversight for the staff of the Chancery and local diocesan entities.
- Coordinate interrelated activities between the offices of the Chancery and external organizations.
- Coordinating management of Diocesan properties and their upkeep.
- Handling of letters of suitability for clergy, both visiting and those seeking faculties in other places.
- Oversight of the Safe Environment Office to coordinate activities that intersect with the parishes and clergy. Also to provide support for the USCCB annual auditing program.
- Support of the Diocesan bishop for special projects.